Baked with fresh seasonal cherries, this quick bread is packed with the protein and extra goodness of whole grain flour.
Whole Grain Einkorn Cherry Almond Quick Bread
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for the pan
- 2 cups (192 g) Whole Grain Einkorn Flour or 1 cup (200 g) Einkorn Wheat Berries, ground into flour
- ½ cup (96 g) natural cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (118 g) plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons (26 g) pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons (9 g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1 g) baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon (<1 g) ground ginger
- 1 cup (80 g) sliced almonds
- 1 cup (150g or 1/2 pound) fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using hand beaters), cream the butter and sugar together until light in color, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then while the mixer is running, add the yogurt, vanilla extract and lemon zest and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and ground ginger.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the bowl, mixing with a spatula until blended.
- Fold in the cherries and ¾ cup of the almonds with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Top loaf with remaining ¼ cup sliced almonds.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and springs back slightly when pressed.
- Cool for 20 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Store at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.