Makes 12 cupcakes
Einkorn Lemon Cupcakes
IngredientsFor the lemon curd
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1¼ cups (150 g) jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons (84 g) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup (60 g) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of half lemon
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Make the lemon curd: In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs and set aside. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Using a wire whisk, add the sugar and lemon juice to the saucepan, slowly stirring to combine. Remove the saucepan from the heat and slowly whisk in the eggs. Return saucepan to the stove, and continue cooking on low heat for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly. When the curd begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon, it is done. Pour the curd into a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Fill a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together the butter, yogurt, lemon juice, and zest.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar, increase the speed to high, and beat for 1 minute until the egg mixture begins to thicken. Detach the bowl from the mixer and sift in half of the flour mixture, folding in with a spatula. When it is almost completely absorbed, fold in half of the butter mixture. Repeat with the remaining flour and butter mixtures until completely used.
- Fill the muffin cups ⅔ full with batter. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until the cupcakes are lightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and cool on a rack until completely cooled about 1 hour.
- Using a paring knife, cut out a circle in the top of each cupcake and set the cut pieces aside.
- Fill each hole with a tablespoon of lemon curd.
- Cut each top into two pieces and place on top of the lemon curd to resemble butterfly wings.
- Lightly dust with powdered sugar.
- The cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day and in the refrigerator for 3 days.