Classic Spaghetti and Meatballs
IngredientsFor the sauce
- Two 18.3 ounce jars of jovial whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 tablespoons jovial Reserve Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs (use this recipe for Einkorn Bread Crumbs or this recipe for Gluten Free Sandwich Bread) or any breadcrumbs you may have on hand
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons jovial Reserve Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- One 12 ounce box jovial Einkorn or Gluten Free Brown Rice Spaghetti
- Make the sauce: Combine the tomatoes, onion, olive oil, and salt in a large saucepan. Simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes uncovered. Stirring frequently and breaking up the tomatoes as they soften.
- Pass the tomato sauce through a food mill fitted with a disc with small holes. Stir in the basil leaves.
- Make the meatballs: In a large bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and milk until the milk has completely absorbed.
- Add the beef, eggs, cheese, and salt. Mix until it just comes together.
- In a large skillet, warm the olive oil and fry a small test meatball. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Shape the mixture into 45 meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each.
- Fry the meatballs, in batches, over medium heat. Turning them to evenly brown until cooked through. Adding more olive oil to the pan, between batches, if needed.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Toss the pasta with the tomato sauce.
- Serve with the meatballs and grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.