Makes one 2-pound loaf
4-Ingredient Einkorn Stuffing, Breadcrumb & Toasting Bread
- 1¾ cups (413 g) warm water, at 100°F
- 1½ teaspoons dry active yeast
- 4½ cups (540 g) jovial Einkorn All-Purpose Flour
- 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- Make the Bread: In a large bowl, whisk together the water and the yeast until dissolved and creamy. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add the flour to the bowl and sprinkle the salt on top. Using a stiff spatula or the Einkorn Kneading Tool to mix the dough until the flour is absorbed. The dough will come together quickly and will be too wet to knead by hand. Do not add extra flour.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8½ x 4½-inch loaf pan.
- Mix the dough to deflate the rise. Transfer the bread dough to the prepared loaf pan, pressing down on the dough to prevent air pockets. Use a wet spatula or a bowl scraper to smooth out the top of the loaf.
- Cover the pan tightly with greased plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the loaf just begins to turn golden on top. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out the loaf onto a cooling rack. Let the loaf cool for 2 hours before slicing.
- Make breadcrumbs or cubes for stuffing: Using a serrated knife, cut the bread into ½-inch cubes. For bread crumbs, fill the bowl of a food processor halfway with the cubes and slowly pulse the bread until all of the cubes are ground to crumbs. Do not process continuously or the breadcrumbs will stick together. Empty the bowl and repeat with the remaining bread.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Place the fresh crumbs or cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring halfway through until they are completely dry. (Alternatively, you can leave the crumbs or cubes on the baking sheet out uncovered at room temperature for 12 hours or until dry.) Once the breadcrumbs have dried out, you can let them cool and return them to the food processor and pulse for a finer crumb.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature or place in a sealed plastic bag and store for up to one month.