Gluten Free Spaghetti and Asparagus Basil Pesto
Spring has arrived and pesto season has officially begun. If you are looking for a quick and delicious meal using a handful of fresh seasonal ingredients, try this recipe for Gluten Free Spaghetti and Asparagus Basil Pesto. It doesn’t get any easier than whipping up a batch of this pesto and tossing it with our gluten free pasta. Vibrant, fragrant, delicious – this the perfect lunch or light dinner that only looks like you worked on it for hours. Enjoy!
If you are looking for pesto making tips and tricks that we learned in Italy, our Pesto 101 article is a great reference tool with plenty of helpful photos.
Gluten Free Spaghetti with Asparagus Basil Pesto
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 large bunch of fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into ½-inch long pieces
- ¼ cup (50 g) jovial reserve blend extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts or cashews
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 cups packed basil leaves, stems and flowers discarded
- ½ cup grated (50 g) Pecorino Romano cheese
- ½ cup (50 g) grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 12 oz. jovial brown rice spaghetti
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt to a boil. Blanch the asparagus pieces for 2 minutes until just soft when pierced with a knife. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the asparagus to a plate to cool.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, nuts, and salt to the bowl of food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add 1 cup of basil and pulse until fine. Add half of the asparagus pieces and pulse until fine. Add 2nd cup of basil and pulse until fine. Add the Pecorino Romano cheese and the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and pulse until fine. Add the remaining 2 cups of basil and pulse until pesto is smooth. Add additional oil if needed for smoother cinsistency. Transfer the pesto to a bowl and mix in the remaining asparagus pieces.
- Cook pasta according to cooking instructions, toss with pesto and serve.
Looking for your favorite Jovial Foods product? Use our store locator to find retailers near you that carry just what you need for your next meal.