Einkorn Spinach Tortillas
You may also like this recipe for Whole Grain Einkorn Tortillas.
Makes twelve 8-inch tortillas
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan, then reduce to a simmer. Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes, then drain and rinse with cold water. Squeeze the spinach to remove all of the excess water. Puree the spinach and the warm water in a blender. Add spinach mixture and oil to the bowl. Mix the dough with a stiff spatula or an Einkorn Kneading Tool until the dough forms a ball and is a nice green color.
- Cover the bowl with a plate and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Lightly dust your work surface with flour and knead the dough for 1 minute until smooth. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Lightly flour your hands and roll each piece between your palms to form a ball.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Lightly dust a piece of parchment paper with flour. Place a ball of dough on the parchment paper and dust the top of the ball with flour. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to 8 inches in diameter, rubbing the round lightly with flour as needed.
- Place the tortilla on the griddle. The temperature is correct when you hear the dough sizzle, but the tortilla does not burn. Cook for 30 to 45 seconds on each side until the surface has browned in spots. Place the tortilla on a towel and cover with another towel to rest while you cook the remaining tortillas. Inside the towel, the tortilla will absorb steam and become softer, so keep them covered.
- Serve warm. The tortillas can be stored in a sealed plastic bag for up to 2 days at room temperature.