Tomato-Braised Yellow Wax Beans
An old family recipe that I have been enjoying for years, Tomato-Braised Yellow Wax Beans is a traditional recipe that is typical of many regions of Italy. It can be made with these heirloom yellow beans, or also with fresh green beans. This recipe turns out best when the beans are in season and fresh, so make sure to pick the slimmest beans without seeds. Use your choice of jovial crushed or diced tomatoes for the best flavor!
- 1 pound fresh yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons jovial Reserve Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ medium onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- One 18.3 ounce jar jovial diced tomatoes
- 1¼ teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ cup water
- In a large skillet, bring 5 cups of water to a boil. Add the beans and blanch for 5 minutes. Drain the beans and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the oil, onion, and carrot on medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and salt.
- Gently stir in the beans and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the water to skillet.
- Lower the heat and cook until the beans are soft, about 20 minutes. The cooking time will depend on how fresh your beans are.
- Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes, then serve. This dish is also really delicious cold.