Soft & Chewy Gluten Free Parmigiano Dinner Rolls
Jovial’s Gluten Free Culinary Getaway is coming up next month, and we wanted to share a little taste of what we will be cooking up for our guests. Last week, we featured Authentic Italian Tiramisu, made with homemade gluten free lady fingers. This week, we’ve got Soft & Chewy Gluten Free Parmigiano Dinner Rolls! We think this may be one of our favorite gluten free bread recipes yet, because these rolls are just as soft, chewy, and flavorful as wheat bread. We cannot stop eating them!
- 1½ cups (354 g) warm milk, at 100°F
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3½ cups (420 g) jovial No. 2 Whole Grain Gluten free Bread Flour or jovial No. 1 Gluten Free Bread Flour
- 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons (90 g) unsalted melted butter, plus more for brushing
- 1 cup (100 g) grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Shredded Parmigiano and chives to garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, yeast, and sugar until dissolved and creamy. Let stand for 10 minutes until bubbly.
- Whisk in the eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour and salt on top. Mix in the bowl with a stiff spatula until the dough comes together.
- Add the butter to the dough and continue to mix with a spatula until completely absorbed.
- Add cheese and mix the dough until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl to form a ball.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. You can also use a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, but if you do, we would recommend rolling the dough in 15 pieces so they don’t bake up flat.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Dust your hands with flour and roll each piece into a ball by pressing and rolling the dough with the palm of your hand. The dough will be wet, but keep the added flour to a minimum. Place the balls of dough into the pan, arranging them in 4 rows of 3 rolls. If using a 9 x 13-inch baking pan, arrange the rolls in 5 rows of 3 rolls.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush the top of the rolls with melted butter and bake for 20 minutes until they are lightly brown on top.
- Garnish with Parmigiano and chives and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Let the rolls cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert the rolls on a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Gently separate the rolls and serve warm or cooled.
- Store in a sealed plastic bag for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to a month. Thaw at room temperature.