Smoked Salmon Tart with a Savory Einkorn Herbed Crust
For the Crust:
- 1 ½ cups (180g) jovial all-purpose einkorn flour, plus more to roll dough
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. (1g) fresh snipped chives
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 6 tbsp. (85g) unsalted butter, plus more to grease pan
- 4 tbsp. ice water, plus more if necessary
For the Filling:
- 1 tbsp. jovial extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium leek (250g), pale green and white parts only, rinsed and thinly-sliced
- 2 cloves (5g) garlic, minced
- 1 cup (230g) whole milk
- 3 tbsp. (40g) sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp. (30g) capers, rinsed
- 4 tsp. (3g) fresh chopped dill
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- few grinds freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 ounces (115g) smoked salmon, pulled apart into small pieces
- Butter a 10 x 1 inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Add the flour, salt, chives and thyme to a medium mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or your finger tips, work the butter into the dry ingredients.
- Add the ice water slowly and stir with a fork until the dough starts to come together and look like wet sand. Test to see if it’s done by gently squeezing a small piece between your fingers: you’re looking for it to hold together and not crumble away. If it seems too crumbly still, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface. Roll out into a 12-inch circle and fit gently into the pan. Trim away any excess.
- Place pan on a small baking sheet. Using a fork, poke a few holes in the bottom and bake until golden brown, 30 minutes. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- In a small sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering and sauté the sliced leek until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for additional 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, eggs, capers, dill, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the leek and garlic mixture on top of the crust and lay the pieces of salmon across the top evenly. Then pour the egg mixture on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the filling is set. Let cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.