Single 9-inch Einkorn Pie Crust & Pumpkin Pie Recipe
For the single 9-inch pie dough
- 1⅓ cups (160 g) jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour or 1¾ cups (168 g) jovial Whole Grain Einkorn Flour or ¾ cup plus one tablespoon (163 g) jovial Einkorn Wheatberries, ground to flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (83 g) cold butter
- 3 tablespoons cold water
Make the pumpkin filling
- 3 eggs, 1 separated
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin purée or 15 ounce canned pumpkin
- ¾ (175 g) cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg or cloves
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, milk, buttermilk or half and half
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Make the pie dough: Combine the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture is sandy. Add the water, then squeeze the dough in your hands to combine, then gently knead in the bowl until the dough holds together when pressed in a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll out to 1 inch larger than the rim of your pie dish. Transfer the dough to the dish and gently press the down on the edges and up the sides.
- Trim around the dish so that the edges just reach the outside rim of the dish, adding or removing pieces to even out the round. Fold and tuck under the dough toward the rim of the dish. Crimp the edges by pushing the dough with your index finger and thumb toward the inside of the dish, while pressing with your knuckle outward in between the two fingers to form the shape of a U. Space the flutes every inch or follow the indents on the pie dish. Lightly brush the edges of the pie crust with the reserved egg white, which you have beaten with a teaspoon of water.
- Make the pumpkin filling: In a large bowl, add two whole eggs and one yolk. Beat with a whisk to combine yolks and whites. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk together well.
- Pour the filling in the uncooked pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Lower the heat of the oven to 350°F. Bake the pie for 45 to 50 minutes until the filling is firm. Let the pie cool on a rack before slicing and serving. This recipe may also be baked a day ahead and refrigerated.