Olive Oil Sugared Walnuts
- 1 lb. (454g) of halved walnuts
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp. (30g) jovial extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup (150g) cane sugar
- 1 tsp. (6g) sea salt
- 2 tsp. (5g) cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Beat the egg white with the olive oil in a medium mixing bowl. Add the nuts and mix well until the nuts are thoroughly coated.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the cinnamon sugar to the nuts and mix well with a spoon until the nuts are coated evenly with sugar.
- Spread out the nuts on a large baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, rotating the nuts with a spatula every 15 minutes.
- Let cool then transfer to an airtight container or jar. The nuts will keep for up to two weeks.
We much prefer substituting the water for extra virgin olive oil, which lends a nice contrast of savory and sweet flavors. We roast our nuts at a low temperature for an hour to keep their fresh flavor unaltered, yet they come out of the oven beautifully golden brown and crunchy. Enjoy!