Jovial’s new organic extra virgin olive oil from ancient varieties has finally arrived- have you tried it? What a difference in flavor in all types of cooking, from salad dressings, to pesto, to popcorn and just about everything. It is also so delicious when used for baking, especially for a light, spongy and flavorful cake.
Olive Oil Cake
- 3 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- ½ cup (100g) jovial extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. (3g) sea salt
- 1 tbsp. (8g) baking powder
- 2 cups (240g) of jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour
- ¾ cup (100g) sour cherry fruit spread
- ½ cup (70g) sultanas, minced
- 1 tbsp. (15g) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 325º F and lightly oil a fluted springform pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs on high until very fluffy.
- Add the sugar and continue beating on high until creamy and whipped.
- Add olive oil, beating for a few minutes more until very emulsified.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt together, then gently fold into the eggs with a spatula until fully incorporated.
- In a small bowl, combine fruit spread, lemon juice and sultanas. If you would like a plain yellow cake, you can skip this step.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the pan and spread evenly with a spatula to cover the bottom.
- Gently spoon fruit spread mixture around the center of the cake, then pour the remaining batter on top. Do not use your spatula to spread the batter to cover, just shake the pan back and forth. If not all of the filling is covered, do not concern yourself as it will be covered when the cake rises in the oven. And, a little filling that might show after baking will give a hint at a surprise in the center.
- Bake for 40 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. This cake is better when baked at a lower temperature so the color stays golden and does not brown.
- Glaze, frost, dust with powdered sugar or leave as is.
- Let the cake cool before releasing the sides. Then, turn over and lift the bottom of the pan to loosen the cake.