Makes one 8 or 9-inch cake
Not-Too-Sweet Einkorn Breakfast Cake
For the apple topping
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 4 tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon white wine, optional
For the cake
- Your choice of:
- 2 cups (240 g) jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour
- 2¾ cups (264 g) jovial Whole Grain Einkorn Flour
- 3½ cups (294 g) jovial Sprouted Einkorn Flour
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup (240 g) whole milk or non-dairy alternative
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons jovial Reserve Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar, for dusting, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly butter and flour the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Make the apple topping: In a large skillet, cook the butter, sugar, and apples for 5 minutes on medium-low heat. Add wine and cook for 1 minute more. Set aside the apple mixture to cool.
- Make the cake: In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a medium bowl, beat the milk, butter, and olive oil together.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a wire whip attachment, add 3 egg yolks, 2 whole eggs, and the sugar. Process on high for 3 minutes until thick and pale yellow.
- Fold half of the flour mixture into the egg mixture until almost absorbed completely, then fold in half of the milk mixture. Repeat this step.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with the apple mixture, distributing the apples evenly. Bake for 55 minutes.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then release and remove the outer ring of the pan. Cool completely, dust with powdered sugar, and serve.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Note: For a simple cake without the topping, butter, and flour an 8-inch cake pan. Transfer the batter to the pan and bake for 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The top will brown. Place the cake pan on a cooling rack to cook for 15 minutes, then invert the cake on a dish, let cool completely, and dust the top lightly with powdered sugar.