Gluten Free Whole Grain Fresh Pasta
- 1½ cups (180 g) jovial No.2 Whole Grain Gluten Free Flour (now called jovial Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread Flour), plus more for dusting
- ¼ cup (80 g) boiling hot water
- 1 large egg
- Add flour to a large bowl and sprinkle it with the hot water. Using a fork, mix until the water is thoroughly combined and the mixture has cooled enough to add the egg. It will be clumpy, but that’s fine.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork until the yolk and white are combined. Add the egg to the flour mixture and mix with a fork until the dough comes together. Lightly dust a work surface with flour and transfer the dough to it.
- Knead the dough for 1 to 2 minutes until it is smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and cover them with a bowl. Using a rolling pin, roll the first piece into a 4 x 2-inch rectangle that is about ½-inch thick. Dust the first piece with flour on both sides. Start with the thickest setting on your pasta machine and roll the dough through the machine. The piece will break up a bit, but fold it in thirds lengthwise and pass it through the machine, repeating until you have a uniform strip that holds together.
- With a knife, cut the strip in half lengthwise. Pass the dough through the machine again, dusting with flour as needed, working down to the second to the last thickness. With a knife, trim the edges of the strips into straight lines, and add the trimmings back to the remaining dough.
- Pass the strip of dough through the tagliatelle die of your pasta machine. Spread the cut noodles on the kitchen towels and let them dry, while you roll out and cut the remaining pieces.
- To cook the pasta, bring 3 quarts of water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon of sea salt or salt to taste. Drop in the tagliatelle and cover the pot to bring the water back to a rolling boil. Once boiling, cook uncovered for 2 minutes until the noodles are al dente. When you taste the tagliatelle for doneness, make sure the very inside of the noodle tastes cooked. Drain the noodles in a colander, but do not rinse.
- Toss with your favorite sauce and serve right away.