Gluten Free Valentine Linzer Cookies
Makes 40 cookies
This recipe can also be made with jovial Einkorn All Purpose Flour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine the flours, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture is sandy. Add the egg and knead in the bowl until the dough is smooth.
- Divide the dough in half. Form each half into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place the first piece of dough in between two pieces of parchment paper, dusting the paper and the top of the dough lightly with flour. Roll the dough to ⅛-inch thick. Using a 2” fluted cookie cutter, cut out rounds. Half of the round will be the base of the cookies. To make the tops, use a 1” cookie cutter to cut out the centers from half of the rounds.Transfer cookies to the baking sheet 1 inch apart. Gather the scraps into a ball, chill for 10 minutes, then roll out again and proceed in cutting equal numbers of bases and tops.
- Bake for 12 minutes until the edges begin to brown slightly. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Continue in the same manner with the remaining piece of dough.
- Before serving, spread 1 teaspoon of preserves on the cookie bases. Dust the top of the tops with powdered sugar and place on top of the preserves. Serve immediately.
- The unfilled cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days and filled as needed.