This recipe can also be made with jovial’s einkorn flours.
Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups (270 g) No. 3 Jovial Gluten Free Pastry Flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 10 tablespoons (140 g) butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (150 g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream together the butter and sugar for 2 minutes in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium-low speed, stopping a few times to scrape down the sides.
- Add the egg, and vanilla and mix for 1 minute until thoroughly combined.
- Add flour mixture and mix on low speed until just incorporated, scraping down the sides. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and put in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Working with ½ of the dough at a time. Dust a piece of parchment paper and the dough lightly with flour. Roll the dough to a ¼ inch thick, using additional flour, only if necessary. The dough will be very stiff and hard to roll when first removed from the freezer. After a few minutes of rolling and turning, the dough will become workable.
- Cut out the cookies and place on baking sheet 1 inch apart. Gather the scraps into a ball, wrap and return to freezer for at least 15 minutes, then roll again.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, one tray at a time until lightly golden around the edges. Let cookies cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.