Makes 12 muffins
Gluten Free Spiced Apple, Walnut & Raisin Muffins
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (105 g) brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon, plus ½ teaspoon for dusting
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom
- 2 tart apples, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dices
- ⅓ cup (50 g) seedless raisins
- ¼ cup (30 g) walnuts, chopped
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
- 2¼ cups (270 g) No. 3 Gluten Free Pastry Flour or No. 4 Whole Grain Gluten Free Pastry Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup (240 g) buttermilk or kefir, or 1 cup (240 g) milk or non-dairy milk soured with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Heat butter, brown sugar and spices in a large skillet on medium- low heat until the mixture begins to bubble. Add the apples and cook for 5 minutes. Add the raisins, walnuts and orange zest. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a wire whip, beat eggs and ¼ cup
- (50 g) of sugar on high speed for 5 minutes until the mixtures is very thick and creamy.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Fold ⅓ of the flour mixture into the eggs until most of the dry flour is absorbed, then fold in half of the buttermilk. Continue with ⅓ flour, ½ buttermilk, and the remaining flour.
- Fold in the apple mixture from the skillet until well-combined.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups.
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon in a small bowl. Dust the tops of the muffins with the cinnamon sugar.
- Place the muffins in the oven, then lower the oven heat to 375°F. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely. The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days