Makes four 8-inch pizzas
Gluten Free Sourdough Pizza
- ¼ cup (50 g) Gluten Free Sourdough Starter
- 1½ cups warm water, at 100°F
- 4 cups (480 g) jovial No. 1 Gluten Free Bread flour, (now called jovial Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Bread Flour) or jovial No. 2 Whole Grain Gluten free Bread Flour (now called jovial Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread Flour), plus more for dusting
- 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) jovial Reserve Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a large bowl, mix the starter with the water until it breaks up. Add the flour and sprinkle the salt on top and mix with a spatula until the flour is absorbed.
- Add the oil and mix until the dough comes together. Scrape the sides of the bowl and shape the dough into a ball.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 4 to 6 hours until the dough rises by 25 percent.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven. Preheat the oven to 500°F for 30 minutes. If you are using a pizza stone or baking steel, preheat them for 60 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and transfer them to a work surface that has been dusted with flour. Dust your hands with flour, roll the pieces into balls and cover them with plastic wrap. Let the balls of dough rise for 20 minutes.
- Place the first piece of dough between two pieces of parchment paper, dusting the paper and the top of the dough with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to a 9-inch circle. Remove the top piece of parchment. Roll in the edges of the dough to form a rounded edge around the pizza, gently sealing the edge into the dough.
- Top with your toppings. For the sauce, we open a jar of jovial crushed tomatoes, season them with a bit of olive oil, salt and oregano and use them just like that, with no cooking because that's how they do it in Italy.
- Lift the pizza by the edges of the parchment paper and carefully place on the hot baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are dark golden brown and crispy.
- Serve the pizza hot out of the oven and proceed with making the remaining pizzas in the same manner.