Makes 1 batch (2 cups) levain
Gluten Free Sourdough Levain
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) Gluten Free Sourdough Starter
- ¾ cup (177 g) warm water, at 100°F
- 1¼ cup (150 g) jovial No. 1 Gluten Free Bread Flour (now called jovial Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Bread Flour) or jovial No. 2 Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread Flour (now called jovial Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread Flour)
- Add the starter to a medium glass container that you can seal tightly or directly to a large bowl where you will mix up the bread dough. The starter can be used cold out of the refrigerator or you can utilize starter that has been refreshed and left to rise for at least 6 hours.
- Add the water and mix with a fork until the starter breaks up.
- Add the flour and mix the batter with a spatula until the water absorbs all of the flour. The levain with be a wet batter that will seem lumpy.
- Seal the container tightly or cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature for 6 to 8 hours, until the mixture has risen by at least 25% and you see bubbles if you push away the surface of the dough.