Makes about 30 cookies
Gluten Free Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup (120g) Jovial No. 3 Gluten Free Pastry Flour (now called jovial Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Pastry Flour)
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon (90g) white rice flour
- 1/3 cup (70g) sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for dusting
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 10 tablespoons (140g) unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, sugar, and salt.
- With a pastry blender or your hands, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is like rough sand.
- Add the egg and knead the dough until all ingredients are combined.
- Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper, and roll into a 8 x 8-inch rectangle that is ½-inch thick.
- Cut 1-inch wide strips that are two inches in length. We use an expandable dough wheel, but if you don’t have one, a pastry wheel or knife works fine.
- Dust the top of the dough with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Use a toothpick to prick the tops of the cookies.
- Lift them off the paper using a metal spatula and transfer the cookies to the baking sheet sheet spaced ½ inch apart.
- Bake 24-26 minutes until the edges begin to brown. Let the cookies cool on the sheet.
- Cookies can be stored in a sealed glass container for up to 3 days.