Makes 24 cookies
Gluten Free Rugelach
IngredientsFor the Pastry Dough:
- 2 teaspoons warm water at 100°F
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for dusting
- 2 large eggs, 1 separated
- 1 3/4 cups (210g) Jovial No. 3 Gluten Free Pastry Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 10 tablespoons (140 g) butter, melted
- 2/3 cup (100 g) Raisins, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup (85 g) Walnuts, finely chopped
- ½ cup (140 g) Strawberry or Apricot Jam
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix water, yeast, and sugar on medium-low speed to combine. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the egg and separated egg white to bowl and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds, then add the flour and salt and mix for 30 seconds.
- Add melted butter and mix on medium speed for 1 minute, stopping once to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough in 4 equal discs. Dust the discs of dough with flour and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 ½ hours.
- In a small bowl combine raisins and walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, dust a piece of parchment paper and the dough with flour and roll the dough into a 6×9 inch rectangle. Spread 2 tablespoons of jam evenly over the dough and sprinkle with 1/3 cup of filling. Using a pizza wheel cut dough vertically into three 3-inch strips. Then cut each strip diagonally to form a six inch long triangle. Beginning at the wide end, roll triangle into a crescent shaped cookie.
- Place the cookies on a cookie sheet two inches apart. Cover the cookies with buttered plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Mix together the reserved egg yolk with 1 teaspoon of water. Brush the top of each cookie with the egg wash and dust with sugar.
- Bake for 24-26 minutes until golden brown. Let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.