This recipe can also be made with jovial’s einkorn flours
Gluten Free Orange Cranberry Scones
- ⅓ cup (66 g) sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
- Zest of one large orange, (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 cups (360 g) No. 3 Gluten Free Pastry Flour (now called jovial Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Pastry Flour), plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (166 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 cup (145 g) dried cranberries
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup (175 g) cold heavy cream, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons of sugar with ¼ teaspoon orange zest and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, ⅓ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Work in the butter with your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal but still has some larger chunks of butter. Add cranberries to the mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs to combine the yolks and whites. Add the cream and remaining zest and beat to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dough and squeeze the dough through your hands until the ingredients are combined. (The dough will seem loose.)
- Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper and transfer the dough to it. Dust the top of the dough with flour. Use your hands to pat down the dough into a 6 × 9-inch rectangle that is 1-inch thick. Using a smooth edged knife dipped in cold water, cut the rectangle into thirds lengthwise and then in half crosswise. Cut each rectangle in half diagonally for 12 small wedges.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the scones on it, spaced about 1½ inches apart. Brush the tops of the scones with the tablespoon of cream and dust with the 2 tablespoons of sugar-zest mixture. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove the scones with a metal spatula to a plate and serve warm, or let cool before serving.