Makes one loaf
Gluten Free Kefir Sourdough Bread
IngredientsFor the Sourdough Levain:
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) Gluten Free Sourdough Starter
- ¾ cup (177 g) warm water, at 100°F
- ⅛ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1¼ cup (150 g) jovial No. 1 Gluten Free Bread Flour (now called jovial Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Bread Flour) or jovial No. 2 Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread Flour (now called jovial Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread Flour)
- 3½ cups (420 g) jovial No. 1 Gluten Free Bread Flour (now called jovial Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Bread Flour) or jovial No. 2 Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread Flour (now called jovial Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread Flour)
- 1½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 cup (240 g) kefir
- ¾ cup (177 g) warm water at 100°F
- 2 tablespoons (42 g) honey
- ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons warm water, at 100°F
- 2 large eggs
- Make the levain: In a medium bowl, mix the starter, yeast, and water with a fork until the starter breaks up.
- Add the flour and mix the batter with a spatula until the water absorbs all of the flour. The levain with be a wet batter that will seem lumpy. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Make the kefir mixture: In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Add the kefir, water, and honey, and mix with a spatula until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and let both mixtures rest for 6 hours.
- Make the Dough: In a small bowl, dissolve a ½ teaspoon of yeast in 2 teaspoons of warm water.
- Stir the levain into the kefir mixture. Mix in the yeast and eggs until well combined.
- To shape the loaf, use a large serving spoon to scoop the dough on to the middle of a 15-inch long piece of parchment paper. Mound the dough to create a 6-inch round.
- With a small offset spatula, gently smooth out the surface of the loaf.
- Dust the top of the loaf with flour and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 90 minutes.
- Place a 5-Quart Dutch oven, with the lid on, in the oven. Preheat the oven to 500°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven and take off the lid. Lift the loaf up by the edges of the parchment paper and lower it into the pot.
- Slash two ¼ -inch-deep strips across the top of the loaf lengthwise and two crosswise. Cover and place in the oven.
- Reduce the oven to 450°F. Bake the bread for 40 minutes with the lid on the pot. Remove the lid and continue to bake uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes until the loaf is a dark golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and lift out the bread with a metal spatula. Transfer the bread to a wire cooling rack and cool the bread completely before slicing, about 3 hours.
- The bread will stay fresh in a sealed plastic bag for up to 3 days or you can slice it and freeze for up to a month. Remove the slices from the freezer as you need them and defrost them at room temperature before toasting.