Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2½ cups (300g) jovial No. 3 Gluten Free Pastry Flour (now called jovial Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Pastry Flour), plus more for dusting
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 tablespoons (113g) cold unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 large egg (optional)
- ¾ cup (180g) cold buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Work in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- If using an egg, beat the egg into the buttermilk. Pour buttermilk into the bowl and squeeze the dough through your hands until the dough just holds together.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment paper that has been lightly dusted with flour.
- Use your hands to pat the dough into a 9 x 5-inch square that is 1-inch thick.
- Cut out 8 rounds using a 2-inch round cookie cutter.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes until golden. Serve warm.
- This recipe can also be made with jovial No. 4 Gluten Free Whole Grain Pastry Flour (now called jovial Whole Grain Gluten Free Pastry Flour).