Gluten Free Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 ½ tbsp. of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. dry mustard dissolved in 1 tsp. water
- 4 cups good quality Vermont or Wisconsin cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper freshly ground
- ½ tsp. your favorite hot sauce
- 1 12oz box Jovial brown rice penne pasta
- ¼ cup Pecorino Romano cheese grated (for topping)
- Butter or non stick cooking spray (preparing 8” x 10” casserole dish)
Making the Cheese Sauce
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in flour and stir until the butter fully absorbs the flour.
- Slowly stir in warmed milk 1/2 cup at a time, whisking to keep the sauce smooth. After each addition, let the sauce begin to bubble and thicken briefly, then add more. (If you pour in cold milk, your sauce may become lumpy so be sure to heat the milk before adding to the sauce).
- When all of the milk has been added, continue to whisk over low heat for about 3-5 minutes until thickened. Be careful, the bottom will burn if the heat is too high.
- Whisk in 1 cup of cheddar cheese at a time making sure it is fully melted before adding the next cup
- Stir in mustard, hot sauce and season with salt and pepper
- Set aside while you cook the pasta.
Preparing Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° degrees
- Butter casserole dish and set aside
- Bring 3 quarts of water to boil in an 8 quart stock pot. Salt the water to taste.
- Cook brown rice pasta al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl mix pasta and cheese sauce.
- Place mixture in prepared casserole dish.
- Top with Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Bake uncovered until the top is bubbling and golden brown about 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.