Gluten Free Applesauce Spice Cake
Makes one 8-inch cake
This recipe can also be made with jovial Einkorn Flour.
For the cake
For the frosting
- 8 ounces (225 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons (84 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, whisk together the butter, oil, and applesauce until thoroughly combined.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with a wire whip, beat the eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar on high speed for 3 minutes until light and thick.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer. Using a spatula, fold one-third of the flour mixture into the egg mixture until almost absorbed completely, then fold in half the applesauce mixture. Fold in another one-third of the flour mixture, then the rest of the applesauce mixture and finish with the flour mixture. Folding until the flour is no longer visible.
- Pour the batter into to prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a rack and let cool completely.
- Make the frosting: Add the cream cheese to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the butter and beat for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth and creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Sift the sugar and add it to the bowl. Beat for 1 minute more.
- Spread ¾ to 1 cup of the frosting on top of the cake. Spread the remaining frosting on the sides of the cake and serve.
- The cake can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and served chilled.