Gluten Free Apple Rum-Caramel Tart
IngredientsFor the tart crust
- 2 cups (240 g) jovial No.3 Gluten Free Pastry Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs, 1 separated
- 5 tablespoons (70 g) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons rum
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons jovial No.3 Gluten Free Pastry Flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ⅛-inch slices
- Make the dough: Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture is sandy.
- Add one whole egg and one egg yolk and knead into flour mixture until the dough holds together in a sticky ball. Form the dough into a disc, and wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the filling: In a large skillet, melt the butter on low heat. Increase the heat to medium and add the rum. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the sugar, flour, and water. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the apples to the pan and cook for 3 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring to coat all the apples thoroughly. With a slotted spoon, lift the apples out of the pan and transfer to a bowl. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Continue cooking the remaining liquids in the pan until thickened. You should have 1/3 cup of liquid. Turn off the heat and set the pan aside.
- Lightly flour a 20-inch piece of parchment paper and transfer the dough to it. Dust the top of the dough with flour. Gently roll the dough into a 10 x 14-inch rectangle, trimming and rolling until the edges are straight.
- Leaving a ½-inch border of dough, place a single line of apple slices along the long side of the rectangle, to use as a guide. Arrange the apples in slightly overlapping rows across the short side of the rectangle. Continue in rows until you have finished the apples.
- Using the parchment paper, gently roll up each side of the dough and crimp the edges. Pour the rum caramel from the skillet over the apples.
- Lift the parchment paper by its edges and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the apples begin to brown.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or cold.