Makes one loaf
Einkorn Sourdough Rye Bread
IngredientsFor the levain
- One Batch of Einkorn/Rye Sourdough Levain
- ¾ cup (177 g) whole milk or water, warmed to 100°F
- 1½ cups (180 g) jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour
- ½ cup (60 g) rye flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- Make the levain: In a glass container that you can seal tightly or in a medium bowl, mix the starter and water together with a fork, pressing on the starter until it dissolves. Add the flours and mix until the flours are dissolved. Seal tightly or cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a dark place for 6 to 10 hours.
- Make the dough: In a medium bowl, combine the levain, and milk or water. In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, salt, and caraway seeds. Add the wet mixture to the flour and mix with a stiff spatula or an Einkorn Kneading Tool until the flour is almost absorbed. Work the butter into the dough until it is completely absorbed. Cover the bowl with a plate and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Lightly flour a work surface and using a bowl scraper, transfer the dough to it. Turn the dough by stretching the dough into a rectangle, then folding in each corner to the center. Fold again in half, then transfer the dough back to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough rise for 3 to 5 hours. You should see your dough rise by 30%.
- Generously butter an 8½ × 4½‐inch loaf pan.
- Transfer the dough with a bowl scraper to a work surface that has been lightly dusted with flour. Dust your hands with flour. Stretch and fold each end of the dough toward the center. Repeat. This will help smooth out the dough and give it some strength for shaping. Watch our video and see Carla demonstrate how to shape the dough and the loaf.
- To shape the loaf, you’ll stretch and tuck from the top of the piece of dough toward the center, working with one-quarter of the dough and pressing down to seal the seam as you go. Repeat this three times, then pinch the last seam to seal completely. Roll the loaf a few times on the counter to finish shaping it.
- Place the dough, seam side down, in the prepared pan. Cover the pan with buttered plastic wrap. Let the dough rise at room temperature for 60 to 90 minutes, or until the top of the loaf rises about ½ inch below the rim of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Bake the loaf for 40 minutes, until dark brown.
- Place the pan on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes, then turn out the loaf and let it cool completely for 2 hours before slicing.
- Store in a loosely sealed plastic bag for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 1 month