Makes 16 croquettes
Einkorn Pumpkin Croquettes
- 3 tablespoons jovial Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for frying the croquettes
- 2 cups Kobacha squash, cut in ½-inch dices
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 ounce pancetta, diced (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup jovial Einkorn Wheat Berries
- 2½ cups bone or vegetable broth
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese (optional)
- Add oil, squash, onion, pancetta, thyme, and salt to a large skillet. Cook on medium-low heat until the squash begins to soften and breaks up into a chunky puree, adding 1 tablespoon of broth as needed (up to ½ cup) to keep the squash mixture moist as it cooks and caramelizes.
- Add the wheat berries, stir them into the squash mixture until well coated and cook for 1 minute to flavor. Add the remaining 2 cups of broth and stir for another minute until well blended.
- Stirring frequently, cook uncovered for 30 minutes, until the wheat berries are soft and chewy and the broth has been absorbed.Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Mix in the egg, flour, and cheese.
- Form 16 croquettes that are 2½-inches in diameter and about a ½-inch thick.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a non-stick frying pan or cast iron skillet and heat to a medium-low temperature.
- Fry the croquettes 2 to 3 minutes on each side until brown and crispy, adding more oil as needed.
- Serve immediately.