Makes 12 scones
Einkorn Morning Glory Scones
- 3 cups (360 g) jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour or 3½ cups (336 g) jovial Whole Grain Einkorn Flour or 4 cups (336 g) jovial Sprouted Einkorn Flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10 tablespoons (140 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
- ½ cup (80 g) seedless raisins
- ½ cup (63 g) chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup (113 g) pure maple syrup
- ½ cup (120 g) plus 2 teaspoons cold heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Work in the butter with your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal but still has some larger chunks of butter.
- Mix in the carrot, apple, raisins, nuts, and coconut.
- In a small bowl, mix together the maple syrup and the ½ cup of cream. Pour in the cream mixture and squeeze the dough through your hands until the dough barely holds together. Knead the ball of dough 5 to 10 times until the flour is absorbed but the dough is shaggy, not smooth.
- Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper and transfer the dough to it. Dust the top of the dough and place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 6 × 9-inch rectangle that is 1 inch thick. Cut the rectangle in thirds lengthwise and then in half crosswise. Cut each rectangle in half diagonally for 12 scones.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the scones on it, spaced about 1½-inches apart. Brush the tops of the scones with the remaining 2 teaspoons of cream and dust with the sugar. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove the scones with a metal spatula to a plate and serve warm, or let cool before serving. Store in a sealed plastic bag for up to 2 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.