Makes 16 two inch brownies
Einkorn Mocha Fudge Brownies
- 3 tablespoons Instant Espresso Coffee or Instant Coffee*
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 6 tablespoons (84 g) unsalted butter, cold and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 7 oz. (200 g) bittersweet chocolate (70%), chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs, one separated
- 1¼ cup (250 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1⅔ cup (200 g) jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter an 8-inch square pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper 7 inches wide and place in the pan, creasing at the bottom of the pan and allowing the rest to hang over the edges.
- In a small bowl, combine the espresso and water, stir until the granules dissolve. Set aside.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water without letting the bowl touch the water. Stir frequently until the mixture is melted. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder and coffee mixture until smooth. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat three whole eggs and one egg yolk on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the sugar and salt. Beat on high for 2 minutes until creamy and light yellow.
- Fold in one-third of the chocolate mixture. Sift and fold in half of the flour, scraping the bottom of the bowl with the spatula to incorporate the chocolate. When the flour is mostly absorbed, proceed folding in one-third of the chocolate and remaining flour, then finish with the rest of the chocolate.
- Pour the batter into the center of the pan. Do not shake or tilt the pan; the batter will spread evenly in the oven.
- Bake for 31 to 33 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a bit of moist crumbs attached.
- Place the pan to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Use the parchment to lift out the brownies; let cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.