Einkorn Hamburger Buns
- 1¼ cups (295 g) warm milk at 100°F (you may also use water)
- 3 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast or ⅓ cup (80 g) einkorn sourdough starter
- 3 large eggs, 1 separated
- ¼ cup (60 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled or jovial Extra Virgin Olive Oil or fat of your choice.
- Your choice of jovial Einkorn Flour (we recommend you measure by weight with a kitchen scale)
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- Sesame seeds for topping the buns, optional
- If you are baking with active dry yeast, whisk together milk or water, sweetener, and yeast in a large bowl until yeast dissolves. Let stand for 15 minutes. If you are baking with sourdough starter, mix the starter with milk or water until the starter has mostly dissolved. Proceed with step 2.
- Add the 2 whole eggs, 1 egg white, and the butter or fat of your choice to the yeast or sourdough mixture, and beat with a fork until well-combined.
- Add your choice of flour, sprinkle the salt on top, then mix in the bowl to combine the ingredients with a stiff spatula or the Einkorn Kneading Tool. The dough will come together quickly and will be too wet to knead by hand. Do not add extra flour.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand for 90 minutes if you are using yeast, or 10 to 12 hours if you are using sourdough starter.
- Lightly flour a work surface and transfer the dough to it. Lightly dust the top of the dough and knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a firm ball, using flour only as needed and sparingly.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a large rimmed baking tray with parchment paper.
- Transfer each bun to the tray, spacing them 2 inches apart. Cover the buns with greased plastic wrap and let them rise for 45 minutes if you are using yeast, or 90 minutes if you are using sourdough.
- In a small bowl, beat together the reserved egg yolk with 1 teaspoon of water. Brush the top of the buns with the egg wash. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top the buns, if using.
- Bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden on top.
- Cool on wire rack for 1 hour before serving. Store in a sealed plastic bag for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.