Makes one 9 x 13-inch pie
Einkorn Four-Bean Chili Con Carne Pot Pie
IngredientsFor the pie crust:
- 2½ cups (300 g) jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour or 3 cups (288 g) jovial Whole Grain Einkorn, plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 3 tablespoons jovial Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons beer or water
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- One 18-ounce jar jovial Crushed Tomatoes
- One 13-ounce jar jovial Kidney Beans
- One 13-ounce jar jovial Borlotti Beans
- One 13-ounce jar jovial Cannellini Beans
- One 13-ounce jar jovial Chickpeas
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Make the crust: In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender. Add the ice water and squeeze the dough in your hands until it holds together. Knead for 1 minute on a clean work surface. Divide the dough in 2 pieces and flatten each into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Make the Chili: In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the beef and pork until it begins to brown and stick to the bottom of the pan. Transfer the cooked meat to a medium bowl.
- Add the beer or water to the pan and scrape up the browned bits of meat. Cook for 1 minute until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, green pepper, onion, and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Return the meat to the pan and add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes until reduced and thickened. Add the beans with their cooking water and cook for 5 minutes more. Turn off the heat and allow the chili to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To assemble the pie, remove the dough from the refrigerator. On a floured piece of parchment paper, roll the first piece of dough into a 9 x 13-inch rectangle, lifting and turning the dough with each roll. Place the dough in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Pour the chili into the dish, then spread the shredded cheese evenly on top.
- Roll out the top crust in the same manner as the bottom. Place the top crust on top of the filling. Cut nine 2-inch vents in the top of the pie.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Allow the pie to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or oven at 350°F for 5-10 minutes.