Einkorn Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 6 tbsp. of unsalted butter
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup Einkorn flour
- 3 cups whole milk warmed
- 1 tsp. dry mustard dissolved in 1 tsp. water
- 12 oz good quality Vermont or Wisconsin cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese shredded. Total amount of shredded cheddar and Monterey jack cheese should be about 4 cups.
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Several dashes your favorite hot sauce
- 2 12oz boxes Jovial whole grain Einkorn penne pasta
- Butter or non stick cooking spray (preparing 8” x 10” casserole dish or 9” x 13” baking pan)
Making the Cheese Sauce
- Mix shredded cheeses together reserving 1 cup for the topping.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Pour off 2 tbsp. of butter into a small bowl, add bread crumbs and blend together; set aside.
- Whisk in the flour and stir until the butter fully absorbs the flour.
- Slowly stir in warmed milk 1/2 cup at a time, whisking to keep the sauce smooth. After each addition, let the sauce begin to bubble and thicken briefly, then add more. (If you pour in cold milk, your sauce may become lumpy so be sure to heat the milk before adding to the sauce.)
- When all of the milk has been added, continue to whisk over low heat for about 3-5 minutes until thickened. Be careful, the bottom will burn if the heat is too high.
- Whisk in 1 cup of shredded cheese at a time making sure it is fully melted before adding the next cup.
- Add hot sauce, mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg; mix well.
- Set aside while you cook the pasta.
Preparing Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° degrees.
- Butter casserole dish and set aside.
- Bring 6 quarts of water to boil in a 8 quart stock pot. Salt the water to taste.
- Cook pasta al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl mix pasta and cheese sauce.
- Place mixture in prepared casserole dish.
- Mix bread crumbs with remaining shredded cheese and spread evenly over the top
- Bake uncovered until the top is bubbling and golden brown about 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.