This recipe can also be made gluten free with jovial’s gluten free flours.
Einkorn Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups (240 g) All Purpose Einkorn Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons (140 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream together the butter and sugar for 2 minutes in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-low speed, stopping a few times to scrape down the sides.
- Add the egg, and vanilla and mix for 1 minute until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just incorporated, scraping down the sides. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Working with half of the dough at a time, very lightly dust a piece of parchment paper and the rolling pin with flour. Roll the dough to ¼ inch thick. Cut out the cookies and place on the baking sheet 1 inch apart. Gather the scraps into a ball, chill for at least 10 minutes, then roll out again.
- Bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden around the edges. Cool on the sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack before decorating.