This recipe can also be made gluten free with jovial’s No. 3 Gluten Free Pastry Flour.
Einkorn Orange Cranberry Scones
- 1⁄4 cup (50 g) sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for dusting
- Zest of 1 large orange (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 cups (360 g) jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour or 3½ cups (336 g) jovial Whole Grain Einkorn Flour or 1¾ cups (336 g) jovial Einkorn wheatberries, ground to flour or 4 cups (336 g) jovial Sprouted Einkorn Flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 10 tablespoons (140 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1⁄4-inch cubes
- 1 cup (145 g) dried cranberries
- ¾ cup (180 g), cold heavy cream, plus 2 teaspoons for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl combine one tablespoon of sugar with a ¼ teaspoon of orange zest and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Work in the butter with your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal but still has some larger chunks of butter. Add cranberries to the mixture.
- In a small bowl mix together remaining orange zest and ¾ cup of cream. Pour in the cream mixture and squeeze the dough through your hands until the dough barely holds together. Knead the ball of dough 5 to 10 times until the flour is absorbed but the dough is shaggy, not smooth.
- Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper and transfer the dough to it. Dust the top of the dough and place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough. For large scones, use a rolling pin to roll the dough into an 8-inch circle that is ¾ inch thick. Cut the circle into 8 triangles with a sharp knife. For small scones, use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 6 × 9-inch rectangle that is 1 inch thick. Cut the rectangle into thirds lengthwise and then in half crosswise. Cut each rectangle in half diagonally for 12 small scones.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the scones on it, spaced about 1½-inches apart. Brush the tops of the scones with the 2 teaspoons of cream and dust with the sugar and zest mixture. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove the scones with a metal spatula to a plate and serve warm, or let cool before serving. Store in a sealed plastic bag for up to 2 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.