Dairy & Gluten Free Banana-Nut Chocolate Chip Whole Grain Muffins
- 3 tablespoons golden flax meal
- ¾ (177 g) cup water
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 2 cups (240 g) jovial No. 4 Gluten Free Whole Grain Pastry Flour (now called jovial Whole Grain Gluten Free Pastry Flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (100 g) coconut oil, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (175 g) sugar + 1 tablespoon for the topping
- ¼ cup aquafaba from jovial organic cannellini beans**
- ½ cup (84 g) chocolate chips
- ½ cup (65 g) chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flax meal with a ½ cup (118 g) of the water. Let stand for 15 minutes. Vigorously whisk in the mashed banana.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the coconut oil on medium-low speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the ¾ cup of sugar and mix for 2 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Add the flax banana mixture and beat for 1 minute.
- Gently fold half of the flour mixture into the wet mixture. When the flour is incorporated, fold in the remaining ¼ cup (118 g) of water and the aquafaba. Finish folding in the remaining flour mixture.
- Fill the muffin cups until the batter nearly touches the top of the liners.
- In small bowl, combine the walnuts, the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar, and coconut oil, then sprinkle on the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Store in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
**Aquafaba is the cooking liquid from beans. If you drain a jar of jovial cannellini beans, you should have roughly ¼ cup of aquafaba. It contains starches and proteins than can help to substitute eggs in baking. If you do not have a jar of beans on hand, you can also use water.