Cast Iron Skillet Baked Gluten Free Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 12 oz. jovial Gluten Free Elbow Pasta
- 2 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, separated
- ½ cup grated Pecorino romano cheese
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Preheat the broiler of your oven.
- In a deep oven proof fry pan or skillet, slowly bring milk, water, butter and salt to boil.
- Add 12 oz. of pasta, stirring until the water and milk come to a boil again.
- Adjust heat to keep a slow steady boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta for 11 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in 1 ½ cups of sharp cheddar and Pecorino Romano until cheese is melted and creamy.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of crushed red pepper and dried oregano.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of sharp cheddar.
- Place pan in oven and broil for 8 to 10 minutes to melt and lightly brown the cheese, keeping an eye on the pan so the cheese does not burn.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then serve.
Note: Crispy bacon crumbles added to the top with the cheddar cheese would be a delicious addition.