Pesto, pasta and green beans is a classic Italian combination. Here, it heads another direction with anchovies, summer herbs and a touch of butter for depth.
Penne with Green Beans and Garlic, Anchovy, Herb Sauce
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup summer herbs, like basil and parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. jovial extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 12 ounces jovial brown rice penne
- 1 pound green beans, tops trimmed
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Pound the garlic and anchovy to a paste with the salt in a mortar and pestle. Add the herbs a fistful at a time and continue to pound to a paste. Whisk in pepper, olive oil and broth.
- Cook penne for 5 minutes. Add green beans and cook another 5 minutes. Drain, return pasta to the pot over low heat and stir in butter and sauce. Toss well to coat.