Bolognese Pasta Bake
- 2 tablespoons jovial Reserve Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into small dice
- 2 celery stalks, cut into small dice
- 2 teaspoons salt plus a pinch, or to taste
- 12 ounces ground beef (may substitute pork, veal or turkey)
- 6 ounces sweet Italian sausage, loose
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- One 18.3 ounce jar jovial Diced Tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons (84 g) unsalted butter
- ²⁄3 cups (80 g) jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour or jovial No. 3 Gluten Free Pastry Flour (now called jovial Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Pastry Flour)
- 2½ cups hot whole milk
- 1 cup (100 g) Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 12 oz. jovial Penne, any variety
- Make the sauce: In a very large skillet, cook olive oil, onion, and garlic on medium-low heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and celery and 1 teaspoon of salt and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in beef and sausage, breaking up in small pieces and stirring occasionally. Cook until the meat begins to brown and stick to the pan.
- Turn up the heat to medium. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt. When the sauce beings to boil, lower the heat and cover, simmering for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Make the bechamel cream: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on low heat, then whisk in the flour until smooth and creamy.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the mixture in one direction while pouring in ½ cup of milk, at a time. When the milk is absorbed by the flour mixture, add more. At first, you will add milk quickly but then the mixture will need more time to thicken before you add more. Once the sauce is thick and smooth, mix it into the Bolognese sauce.
- Cook pasta for 2 minutes less than the cooking time indicated on the package. Drain. Mix into the tomato cream sauce. Mix in ¾ cup of the grated Parmigiano.
- Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Transfer the pasta to the dish and top with the remaining ¼ cup Parmigiano.
- You can either let the dish cool, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours, or bake it immediately.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the pasta uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the pasta begins to brown on top. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.