Makes 16 cookies
Aquafaba Coconut Macaroons
- One 13-ounce jar of jovial chickpeas
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- One 14-ounce (396 g) bag of sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup (60 g) jovial No. 3 Gluten Free Pastry Flour (now called jovial Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Pastry Flour) (may be substituted with any gluten free flour) or ½ cup (60 g) Jovial All Purpose Einkorn Flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain the chickpeas through a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl, and reserve the beans for another use. The remaining liquid from the chickpeas is called aquafaba.
- In a standing mixer, fitted with a wire whip attachment, add the aquafaba and process on medium speed for 30 seconds until foamy. Add the sugar, and cream of tartar and beat on high speed for 5 minutes until the mixture forms soft stiff peaks.
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut, flour, salt, and extract and mix until the coconut is evenly coated with the flour.
- Fold the coconut into the aquafaba. Shape 2 tablespoons of the macaroon mixture into a ball or cone and place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them 1½ inches apart.
- Bake for 25 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool on the baking sheet and serve.
- The macaroons can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for a week.