Best Vegan Chickpea Burger
The secret to the Best Vegan Chickpea Burgers lies within the quality of the beans themselves. Canned chickpeas just cannot compare with beans that you soak and prepare at home. When you don’t have time to make your own, our beans are equally as delicious because they are soaked overnight, cooked with the right amount of salt and no additives, and packed in pure glass jars. Our chickpeas are tender, not mushy, and they never taste starchy. They make the perfect hummus and the best burgers!
The recipe in itself is so easy to prepare, and it’s versatile. We opted to add carrots, potatoes and fresh herbs, along with curry spice, but you can change things up to suit your tastes. The important thing is that the patties hold together well during cooking, and they taste great!
Makes 6 burgers
- Two 13-ounce jars jovial chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons jovial Reserve Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for frying the burgers
- 1 small potato, peeled and grated
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons Veganaise or egg-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons jovial All-Purpose Einkorn Flour or jovial No. 1 Gluten Free Bread Flour ( now called jovial Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Bread Flour)
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Drain chickpeas over a medium bowl to catch the liquid.
- In a large skillet, sauté the oil, potato, and carrot on a medium-low heat until soft and lightly browned. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the potato and carrot mixture, chickpeas, mayonnaise, flour, scallions, parsley, cilantro, curry powder, cumin powder, paprika, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the chickpeas are coarsely minced, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of the reserved cooking liquid to hold the mixture together, if needed.
- Lightly oil your hands and form six burgers that are 3½-inches in diameter and ½-inch thick. Place them on a piece of lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-low heat. Add three burgers to the skillet and fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until browned. Repeat with the remaining three burgers, adding oil, if needed.