Looking for a soft, yet hearty sandwich roll that will work great for a burger too? We know you have been asking. These rolls are made with a mix of ground wheat berries and einkorn flour. We added flax seeds and one spoon of honey for a light sweetness. Hey, now this is a roll you can really feel great about!
HEARTY EINKORN FLAX BREAD ROLLS
- 1 3/4 cups (300g) of wheat berries
- 2 cups (240g) of einkorn flour
- 5 tbsp. of golden flax seeds
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 cup of water, warm
- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- Dissolve yeast and honey in warm water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Grind flax seeds and wheat berries together in your grain mill.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the salt, einkorn flour, wheat berry flour and ground flax seeds together.
- Add water, yeast and honey and knead until the dough is smooth. The dough will be sticky but do not add additional flour.
- Let rise in the large mixing bowl, covered with plastic wrap for 60 minutes.
- Divide the dough in 8 equal pieces and form rolls by pressing the dough in a circular motion on a clean work surface, using a little flour if needed. If you are using for burgers or want a large roll, make 6 instead of 8 and flatten them considerably. They will pop back up in the oven.
- Let rise on an oiled baking sheet covered with a clean linen cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes.