Crunchy Ginger Cookies, Berries & Cream Parfait
You just can’t get enough berries in the spring- delicious and full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber. This recipe can be made either with einkorn flour and our ginger spice cookies, or gluten free with rice flour and gluten free ginger snaps. Serve in parfait glasses, if you have them. If not, wine glasses work fine too. You can also layer the ingredients in a square cake pan, then refrigerate and cut in squares to serve.
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. of einkorn or white rice flour for gluten free
pinch of salt
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
4 cups of berries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries
6-8 jovial ginger cookies or gluten free ginger snaps
- Clean and cut berries and let stand in a small bowl so they release a bit of juice.
- Heat the milk in a heavy saucepan until hot, but not boiling.
- Sift flour, sugar and salt together in a medium bowl. Stir in the hot milk and beat until well blended.
- Pour back into the pan and stir with a whisk on low heat for 2 minutes until the cream becomes thick.
- Whisk in egg yolks and cook for a few more minutes. Let cool, stirring occasionally.
- Pulse cookies in a food processor until they become small crumbles.
- Layer the cream first, sprinkle with cookie crumbles and then add fruit. Continue layering until you finish the ingredients. If you like a little added spice, you can sprinkle a bit of cinnamon or ginger on the top.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe makes roughly 6-8 portions. In order to cut back on sugar, we recommend using a lot of fruit, with no sugar added to the fruit, just the cream.
And if you are looking for something quick and lighter, you can substitute greek yoghurt sweetened with a little honey for the cream. Mix 3 cups of yoghurt with 3 tsp. of honey, then layer with crumbled cookies and fruit on top.